Wednesday, May 21, 2008



Another 'what was I thinking' Project From Hell is currently underway, as I attempt to complete installation of a bench/arbor in the backyard.

I had this simple vision of a nice place to sit with some vines growing on it. Looked around town for a bench/arbor - nobody sold one locally. Checked into having one built here - sure, for about $600. Found this one on eBay for a few hundred bucks delivered (from Texas - my bench has a high carbon cost), and ordered it. Sat boxed in the garage for about five months. Pat assembled it this spring. Sat in the garage assembled for another month. Spent a day stain/sealing it. Couldn't find the right spot for it in the back yard, set it here and there for another couple of weeks. Finally decided to put it over by the compost bins, eventually to have shrubs planted behind it to screen the view (another PFH?). Ground not level - dig, buy landscape blocks, level. Dig holes in horrible soil for Porceline Berry/Ampelopsis vines bought last summer that have sat in pots all winter (three of four survived and are budded). Picture above shows where I'm at as of tonight.

Tomorrow morning I hope to get the vines planted, spread wood mulch underneath. Then, for fourth corner planting go to nursery(ies) seeking a nice Hall's honeysuckle for attractive hummingbird-attracting sweet-scented flowering vine. Finally, relocate some stepping stones for informal path from back door.

Next time - couple of $5 yard sale plasic resin chairs set in a nice spot. Save enough money for 40 cases of premium local beers and time to sit and enjoy them.

All I wanted to do was enjoy sitting in the garden.


guy enjoying sitting photo © Marie-Lan Nguyen / Wikimedia Commons

No comments: