Monday, April 21, 2008

At the end of last week I had one of those days that seemed to offer more than the usual number of things to appreciate. Of course, attitude is everything, and just the ability to awake and experience any mindful day on the planet should be cause for celebration, no matter what the content - but some days work better than others.


The day began with fresh-brewed coffee and perfect toast.


Returning to my car after an errand, I found this rock on the pavement and took it home for my garden.

Hmm. Seems I am unduly influenced by small things, both good and bad. Maybe I need some greater influences in my life.

I try to get out to experience the arts in town whenever I can. I keep hoping that somehow I will find the inspiration and opportunity to be more than a passive consumer of the creative efforts of others.



In some cases, like the frequent music recitals and concerts, there isn't much hope for me to become a contributor, as the time to develop and refine the required skills has passed. On the other hand, my ability to paint seems to have been demonstrated, and I only need to do more of it to develop. There is an artist in town I have long admired who has offered to give me instruction to develop my style and technique, so I will be spending some time with that next month.


Kirsten Savage, who will try to assist me with my painting development.

Tonight, I went to the University for a lecture by Joel Cohen, a writer for The Simpsons. He was born and raised in Canada, where he spent six or so years obtaining a business graduate degree. He wrote a bit, without any outlet for that interest, and eventually moved to Los Angeles where he had an administrative job for a cable network. By chance, he met and became friends with a 2nd tier sitcom actress, who introduced him to her production company. He was hired to write for her show, which was soon cancelled. Through a connection with the failed sitcom, he was introduced to the Simpson's writing team, which hired him as one of the twenty staff writers.

Listening to him describe the creative process surrounding the writing and production of the 19-year old series made me feel that familiar longing to be associated with something creative that involves working with bright, capable people, where work is fun and something worthwhile results. As unlikely as landing such a writer's gig is (there are probably thousands of talented, disciplined comedy writer wannabes in LA for a handful of opportunities), this guy's intention to be a writer seems to have more or less effortlessly taken him to the most desirable spot for him in the universe, professionally.

Maybe there is a lesson in that.


No comments: