We went out on the 31st to sample some activities the city puts on to give people alcohol-free options. The first few venues were mobbed with agitated infants and grade-school children, which are not high on my list of tolerated artifacts. After we made our way to Old Town things improved a bit. We heard some Latin music, saw a half hour of musical comedy theater, had a good coffee drink at a cafe while we watched some short films from the recent film festival, then headed to a Latino pot luck in a housing development clubhouse South of the city. That was the highlight of my evening, with good comida casera and a cerveza someone graciously brought us. We watched the kids play sillas musicales and the adults dance to the DJ's disco lights and salsa music until we headed home around 11pm.
I'll try anything to crawl out of the year-end abyss...
Tonight we went to see the new film by Richard Kelly, the writer and director of Donnie Darko. Southland Tales has been reviled by most critics, and was vigorouisly booed by the Cannes festival audience (the version they saw was 167 minutes, now reduced to 137 minutes in its US releaase). As I was very impressed and entertained by Darko, I was anxious to see Southland, and I was not disappointed. Kelly has the darkest of visions of our stature as a country, and is in your face intensely with his condemnation of the venality and the banality of evil that permeates government, the media, and business in this dark age.
Which brings me to another event of this evening - the Iowa caucuses. I see the Republicans have selected a pious squirrel-eating fellow.
I'm starting to take an interest in the primaries.
No comments:
Post a Comment