Sunday, January 27, 2008



About four hours today working on the street scene, just trying to get the car going. I experienced a lot of those "What's the point of THIS?" moments along the way. I notice that increasingly, I ask myself the same question when I see the art of others, or hear some music on the radio, or observe some horrid TV swill on the monitors at the gym. Or news of politics, business, social commentary, etc., etc...

While my occasional discontent with how things have ended up so far for us here in Fort Collins has not abated, I find myself calmer and more able to accept that (as everything) this situation is temporary. All things are possible. I look at the blog of Jonna and Mimi and see how they are bulding their dream home in Merida, and experiencing such a rich diversity of Mexican life, and it reminds me that there are abundant opportunities for a non-Colorado life.

I really DO appreciate all that we have here - the nice house, the cute town with all its diversions, the proximity to Wyoming and the ranch - but - this just isn't the destination. The journey doesn't stop here. I sort of wish it did, because the prospect of change and uncertatinty are troubling for a guy like me who has grown sort of timid in the face of an increasingly chaotic world. But eventually, like the monster that visits the Buddhist monk and is not tamed until it is invited to stay for tea, the time will come following this period of increasingly calm abiding when change will be embraced, and lose its fearful countenance.


No comments: