Monday, April 24, 2006

Another week has passed. Before we arrived here, I wouldn't post anything for a while because there wasn't anything happening, and I was depressed being stuck there. Now, there doesn't seem to be much time because of all there is to see and do. It certainly isn't depressing to be here, with the lovely weather, beautiful surroundings, modest pace, and friendly people.


Crabapple trees are in bloom everywhere.

Spring has exploded into a breathtaking display of white, pink, and purple blossomed trees and shrubs, and a full palette of massively flowering bulbs everywhere you go. Walking down just about any street, the scent of lilacs washes over you. Perhaps they should call Fort Collins the Lilac City, they are so pervasive. I grew them in California, but they are so much more robust and happy here, probably due to the serious winter months.


Lilacs

I spent several hours yesterday a huge local nursery, looking at plants I have been learning about in my classes and lectures on Xeriscape and native plants. It was pretty overwhelming, and I hope we find a place with a landscape and gardens already at least partly established.


Crabapples trees waiting to be planted - a popular activity apparently.

Also yesterday I went to visit the Fort Collins Shambhala Buddhist center, in a little yellow house on the West edge of town.





Saturday was an example of what life in Fort Collins is like for us here these days. We went to a fun dog run fund raiser for the verterinary college in the morning.


Waiting for the start of the Fast and Furriest 5k dog run.

Afterward we looked at a few houses, stopped by Old Town to have a snack at a coffee house, and went home for a nap. Then we went to a back-yard picnic for dog run participants at the home of our realtor, who's wife is a grad student in the vet school. After a few beers there, and looking at some more homes in the area, home again for another nap. Then an evening benefit for a local charity at a brewery, with snacks and local brews, and a chance to meet more local people. Bored we are not...


The electric trolley that runs through Old Town, between City Park and downtown.


No comments: