Saturday, July 30, 2005

Pat and I were discussing Michoacan this morning. I was recently pondering the fact that we may miss the opportunity to check out the area, with its balmy climate and colonial charms because I chose to visit Merida instead - to try to validate that life in Yucatan was still conceivable (or not). While I felt like it was possible that we might be OK there, recently we have been drifting toward the Fort Collins relocation.



This renewed discussion today of Michoacan and its trio of interesting cities is a result of an email I received this morning from a person who read a forum posting at MexConnect I left a long time ago, soliciting opinions about life there. There is a trio of interesting cities - Morelia, Patzcuaro, and Uruapn - that seem well worth checking out.


Here is the email I received this morning....

Hi Stan,
I just returned from Patzcuaro and will throw my two cents in....

While Patzcuaro is a colonial town with all the inherent charms, Uruapan is 'modern' and generally quite unattractive.

That said, the Parque Nacional in Uruapan has to be one of the most beautiful city parks I have ever seen.

I spent time with realtors in Patzcuaro to not much avail. However, I ended up finding a house in the Colonia Centro through word of mouth that I am in the process of buying. It needs a lot of renovation, but it's the classic colonial lay out that most of us want. I have a somewhat extended family there who I would trust with my life, which is one of the reasons for my having decided to buy there.

I'm afraid the deals we all hope to find are a part of history as more of us are migrating there.

I didn't look at property in Morelia because I prefer the size of Patzcuaro, and Morelia is an easy drive from there.

I had always envisioned myself somewhere in the Yucatan because of the coast, but I found the Michoacan countryside to be thoroughly enchanting and ultimately decided that the winters there would be more tolerable to me than the constant heat in the Yucatan. But we all have our points of reference where climate is concerned - I'm used to (though dislike intensely) New York winters, as you're used to western heat.

Will be happy to share my experiences if you continue to be interested in the Patzcuaro area.

Best of luck,
Maria



I reply to Maria....

Hi Maria - thanks for the forum post on Patzcuaro. Any chance you
might have a photo or two to share?

We are backing away from the Mexican retirement idea at the moment. We almost headed for Merida, but got discouraged just before we made the final commitment due to doubts about the climate and the complexities of finding a good house. Also uneasy about finances....having worked our whole lives, the idea of no income and lots of initial and ongoing expenses is more than a little scary despite the number crunching.

We are two 50-ish guys with some savings stashed away, but the whole thing just seems so complex to prepare for - health insurance, home buying uncertainties, etc. May I ask what your general circumstances are? Is this retirement for you? I gathered from other posts that you have family connections of some sort in Michoacan - that would certainly make things easier.

We invested so much time and effort over several years getting familiar with Merida - it is a little discouraging to think about starting over again with Michoacan. But is sounds quite lovely, and maybe if we settle down for several more years in the States and do another round of exploratory trips to the region we can try again....

Oh - are you familiar with Michael Dickson on the forums? He built a great house (and life) in Patzcuaro...check out his web stie with photos and wonderful stories - http://michaeldickson.blogspot.com/.

Saludos,
Stan



Maria promptly replies...

What a shame you've been discouraged. I would encourage you to rethink it.

My situation is in many ways much riskier than yours; in some a little more comforting in that the family of my childhood nanny lives in Patzcuaro and I have no doubt they will always be there for me. I also have dual citizenship, so it makes certain things easier.

The fact that you are a couple is a huge advantage. I am venturing on my own, have only just turned 50 and am an art historian who makes a living being a glorified secretary, so my finances are very limited.

The house is very old and needs renovation, but after having seen how real estate has been rising, my money is better off there than in a money market account here, or even in the current stock market.

Initially, one of the family members (they are all incredibly poor, as are most Mexicans) will live in it so it won't be vacant. I am in no rush, as retirement is not a possibility for me right now. so I'll do things a bit at a time. Not having a partner to share the planning, excitements, disappointments, etc. I see as a huge disadvantage.

Growing old in the States is ten times scarier to me. My financial situation is such that I can't imagine how I can age with dignity here. I've always felt a great deal of tranquility in Mexico - I find Mexicans to be a very gentle, loving people who know how to be happy regardless of whatever their situation might be. I guess I just have faith that the net will be there if ever I need it.

The Americans I met there were quick to point out that after the initial investment of real estate, living expenses are relatively minimal.

As for medical - one of the women who owns the b&b had a horrific accident years ago and never received adequate care in either Canada or the States. She is now under the care of a doctor in Guadalajara who has worked miracles on her. No one will ever be able to argue the 'better medical care in the US' line with her.

There also appears to be a large gay community there, as Mexicans are generally non-judgmental. Or I should say, they deal with their judgments by praying for people rather than exhibiting any malice.

Please, please reconsider. Have you travelled to the Patzcuaro area before? If not, I'll be happy to give you the names of the people I met there so you can hear their stories first hand.

Take care,
Maria



Well.

So the pot is stirred once again. What will Stan and Pat do? When will they do it? A minute ago Pat was standing in the other room with the Mexico map. Now he is leafing through the Lonely Planet guide book.

Have I mentioned that we have book about Portland on the way from Amazon?

Gracias por dios, por lo menos estoy aprendido no preocuparse tanto...



No comments: