A couple of years ago I met a friend at a workshop, and we have managed to stay in touch. Michael was just finishing up school at Davis then, where I later visited him on the occasion of the annual Picnic Day. Taking place since the early 20th century at the end of April, Picnic Day is usually full of sunny outdoor activities. But on the day I arrived in Davis on the train from Oakland, dark clouds hung ovehead as I greeted Michael at the station. We watched the parade through downtown that kicks things off with occasional shelter from an umbrella. Later, it grew stormy and rain pelted the area on and off through the afternoon. The day was not spoiled - it was made more memorable. Had we not been driven indoors, we might have missed the Weiner Dog race finals in the gym.
Michael and I have talked about writing. He has the audacity to go beyond talking and actually write - sometimes with considerable ambition. The results can be very engaging, and I look forward to seeing where this takes him. We have talked about where we both might be headed in general with our lives, and perhaps one of the things that motivates us to remain in touch is the uncertainty and wonder of where that might be. Michael has put in time teaching or exploring in Africa and the Carribean, which makes its way into his stories.
Last weekend Michael stopped by and we spent a few hours catching up on events of the past year. I last saw him last June just before I left for Mexico as Pat and I prepared to depart the house in Hayward, and (so we thought) the country. Michael is currently seeking housing and preparing to work le vendange in Napa at Stag's Leap. I hope to visit him there at some point in the coming months before he or I move on to wherever is next, and thousands of miles again leave us with email to remain in contact.
No comments:
Post a Comment