Thursday, May 26, 2005





Remember when this blog used to be about the excitement and mystery of preparing for a new life in Mexico? Well, there has been plenty of mystery allright. Wouldn't you like to know where we are with the prospects for Mexico?

We'd like to know too.

Since I am off-contract at the workplace in Alameda, now it makes sense to use the break to visit Morelia in Michoacan - and see a different side of Mexico than scorching Yucatan. You may recall that the blazing heat played a role in scaring me off last June when I was there attempting to finalize arrangements for our arrival. It's tough coming from one of the most comfortable climates on the planet to one that only a certain type of person can tolerate or thrive in.

Now that I've visited Fort Collins and verified that it is a sweet community, we have been looking at homes there online and even calling the local realtor to check on a few. I was almost tempted to fly out there for one we saw this week, but we agree that until we do a reality check and visit Michoacan, we shouldn't make any long-term commitments here in the U.S.

I really don't look forward to the prospect of searching work in a small job market like Fort Collins, and we have run the numbers again recently with the result that it looks doable to try the Mexican early retirement with only a modest amount of luck.

If the US wasn't the only Western civilization without decent health care coverage guaranteed to all citizens without risk of bankruptcy we could even pull it off here, but since that is not the case we would be forced to remain wage (and benefit) slaves for the next ten years or so.


No comments: