Wednesday, November 10, 2004



I've been meaning to get a post together about the visit with sister Becky in Reno the as I made my way back from the ranch and Wyoming to California. It was good to see the cute place where she lives North of town in the desert, and the life she is putting together for herself now that she has a solid career and a little more stability in her life. I never thought I find myself admiring her settled existence while feeling like I was the gypsy!

After all the truck-driving and other odds and ends she somehow managed to create an opportunity to become an operating room technician, scrubbing to assist various surgeons. Quite an accomplishment for her. A position in high demand - and not one that can't be outsourced to buck-an-hour offshore folks in India thank God.



When Becky relocated from Wyoming to Reno, she trailered her old truck behind her new one. It still rests on the trailer it arrived on. You never know what nostalgia will inspire people to do.



Becky has an old dog named Rowdy - a very sweet guy who got along very well with the M-dog. Becky thinks he had a minor stroke, which gives a slightly goofy lopsided appearance to his face with one ear and one side of his mouth a little askew.



Becky loves her horses (mare Little Bit and gelding Roo if I recall) - and they clearly love her back. Seems to me a little like giant dogs.

It was a really tough time for me, leaving Wyoming and driving all day and all night to reach Reno a few hours before daylight. Becky was great, waiting up for me, and listening to my tales of woe. She shopped for me too, and had wonderful things for sandwiches, chips, apples, carrots...all the things I casually mentioned on the phone that might be good for a meal instead of eating out. Home baked cookies too. After we drank soem good coffee in the morning after a few hours of sleep, we had a nice lunch together, and I packed up some of the goodies that Pat and I would later have when we met up at the rental house in Alameda.

Like my time with Mona, the brief time with Becky took some of the edge off all the disappointments that culminated with the temporary retreat to Califonia.

Thanks Becky! Let's think about how we can own a ranch together someday in Wyoming or Coorado...or Mexico.



Text © 2003-2004 Stanley J. Wolf


No comments: