Friday, November 19, 2004



Ah, work.

This would be the first day at work for nearly four months. Positive cash flow!

It wasn't as bad as I anticipated. Kind of nice to have a cublicle to hang out in, once I cleaned up the inevitable grime from the previous resident. Most of the day was spent finding documentation online, and how to report time and process trouble tickets. Meeting people, getting organized. I have two weeks to get ramped up to be productive, and begin providing on-call 24X7 coverage during my assigned rotation.



Last night was nearly sleepless, as I worried that I was giving up a better opportunity with a nearby (2.5 mile commute!) company with lavish benefits and a great story. The position was really close to what I have to offer, but as I got a phone interview just prior to my commitment for the 90-day contract I found that I was missing one critical skill set that made me less than the ideal candidate. So this makes the contract the probable best deal I could find locally. I can have peace of mind...something always available, but I seem to need external events to ease me along - more Buddhist reading is in order.

So - we have a decent place to live in a nice area. We have jobs. We and the dog are holding together in good health. Our friends have been kind and in touch. We have three Thanksgiving dinners to attend over the next week. We still have only the vaguest idea what will happen in the spring, but....

Things could be a lot worse.



Text © 2003-2004 Stanley J. Wolf

No comments: