Saturday, March 23, 2013

Cameras and Experiences


An acquaintance from Merida posted an interesting blog entry a few days ago about his experience going on a trip to Querétaro, and finding his camera had a dead battery and that he had left behind his spare and charger while packing.

It was a thought-provoking post for me me, as I am probably among the more obsessive photo-documentarian travelers.  I once worked professionally as a photographer, with assignments to visually highlight events and activities.  In part, I want to exercise a skill I possess.  Also, as an artist, I place great value in extracting obscure visual elements I find meaningful, and bringing them to the attention out of context for the appreciation of others who may not otherwise perceive or appreciate them as I did.

At Casa de las Ranas, San Miguel de Allende, 2012
So concerned am I that I may be deprived of my photographic involvement in my surroundings, that I travel with a spare camera, and insist on owning small simple cameras that use conventional AA batteries, available in the most humble tiendita.  I shoot only in the lowest web-suitable resolution, expecting that the value on my images (if any) will be ephemeral - they will be seen and appreciated (hopefully) when posted, then lost, except in my own archives, where they sometimes stir powerful memories as time passes.


Having said all that - I find his thoughts and those of his commenters on the potential interference of camera with experience to be entirely valid.  I do wonder at times if my seeking of photographic excerpts from activities in some way diminishes the overall experience.  However, it is possible that in some ways my photographic seeking is actually an enhancement, as my perception is heightened by my desire to identify and isolate visual elements.  Much of the way I relate to the world seems to be visual...


I often use my photography as a source for later painting efforts

No comments: