Wednesday, May 11, 2011


It's been a hard week here - the landscape guy started installing the lines for the sprinkler/irrigation system, and it was a more destructive and brutal process than I had imagined. I found myself feeling really stupid for ever thinking this project would be a good idea. In general, I have a firm belief that there is almost NO project that is a good idea. Projects are an example of my suspicion that 90% of what people find to occupy their time and spend (waste) their money on is of no value at all - the remaining 10% is mostly destructive to themselves and others, with just a tiny fraction proving to be worthy of their efforts.




The work outside was conceived of as a way for us to be freer to travel a little more often and for longer periods of time, without the worry that lawn and landscape would suffer from lack of hand-watering attention during the summer and fall months in this rather arid climate.

I do hope that as this landscape installation proceeds and wraps up that I will feel more optimistic about the outcome. However, in the meantime there are still small signs of beauty and wonder around the house if one looks, and it never hurts to fill the house with the smell of fresh-baked banana bread when the scent of despair is in the air...

No comments: