I've ranted before about the horrifying effect the nineteen large-screen video displays sometimes have on my peace of mind when I visit my 'health club'/gym. In my world, there is nothing more useless than pro sports of any kind, and it just makes my skin crawl when I hear the commentator and athlete talking heads blather their nonsense from the sports-channel monitors in the locker room as I arrive and change out of my street clothes.
Then, out in the workout area, the seventeen additional large-screen monitors covering every vantage point are at least mecifully silent (unless one chooses to tune in with an FM audio local-cast), but there are usually at least several pro sports events running, as well as a selection from a Chinese menu of vile TV cable and broadcast swill. Choose from among the following: an assortment of violent movies or TV dramas, sleazy game and reality shows, infomercials for questionable kitchen/workshop/cleaning/'beauty'/'health'/fat products, animal torture (hunting and fishing - crossbow is a favorite) and snuff shows, financial and political panels, lurid children's animation, vapid local news, and an explosive diarrhea of repulsive local and national advertising.
To fill the gap of no-audio this diverse sewer of visual stimulation leaves, the gym usually blares tracks of nauseating vintage screamer-rock, although everyone these days who requires a little personal soundtrack for their workout already sprouts earbuds from their head. God forbid anyone should want to work out in silence - it might be possible to avert one's eyes now and then, but unless you wear earplugs you are going to experience the background music to complete the audio-visual Hell they offer you with the free weights and pulley-machines. I guess if I'm going to a gym to manage my blood pressure I am wasting my time...
No comments:
Post a Comment