Wednesday, March 03, 2010

It's been quite a while since I posted anything here. I have been posting regularly at facebook, which I have come to use as sort of a blog-lite.

For five day during the past week, we had a foster dog here from its regular foster home. She was a real sweetheart, and we grew quite fond of her. We were considering adoption, but she has a couple of behavior issues we weren't sure we could work out for her. Probably a mix of greyhound and shepard, she's a real cat chase, for one thing. We took her up to the ranch, and she was WAY to interested in the cats, who seemed to think she might be a coyote.



Over the past month, we've visited the local shelters for dogs, and made a few other friends as well.

There was Dora, a sweet but probably high-mainenance border collie mix...



Then there was Danaka, a mystery blend only about seven months old. If she hadn't been adopted the last time I saw her I would probably have adopted her myself...




Danaka gets her tummy rubbed by Pat.



While it was hard to see Maggie go home with her regular foster mom, having her here with us for five days really helped me get incrementally over the loss of Mommadog. It showed me that while Mdog was unique and special to us, much of what gave us so much comfort was in fact generic dog behavior - they are for the most part all sweet, all happy to see you and give you unconditional affection, and get you out of the house a couple of times a day for a nice walk. It was nice just to here the dog door swinging open and shut when she visited the yard and returned...


No comments: