When I did open it, my anticipation was rewarded with a big bag of piñons (pine nuts), some truffle-type chocolates, a book I had loaned out a while back, some 'Magic Eraser' cleaner pads, bug jar of flavored nuts, and a couple of recipes along with a note. Amazing the good feelings a little box of goodies can produce. I've been wanting to try a few dishes with pine nuts, but the outlandish price has discouraged me. Now I can experiment!
Later in the evening, we had planned to attend an annual competition for top vocal performers from the University, where scholarships and other cash prizes are awarded after a two-piece audition accompanied by piano. The event if open to the public and free (gotta love being in a college town). But when we arrived, there was a sign posted announcing that the event would be starting an hour later than advertised. We wandered around the performing arts center, and found that the state-wide annual symphony concert performed by exceptional high school students was about to commence.
I had been very disappointed that earlier in the week I had missed the only University symphony performance of the season (because I forgot), so I grabbed a couple of tickets to this event, and we enjoyed a very fine performance (these kids are in high school? What were we doing in high school?) of pieces by Copland, Dvorak, and Pictures at an Exhibition, by Mussorgsky.
As the audience rose to its feet following the dramatic finish of the final piece, we bolted for the other event in a nearby recital hall, and enjoyed that too. A nice evening.
No comments:
Post a Comment