On the way to the pub, we passed a church sporting a big nativity scene with a bunch of shepherds, wise men, angels, and what appeared to be real livestock. and couldn't resist pulling over to check it out. They were a bunch of live animals, including sheep, goats, and genuine cow in the manger. With professional lighting effects, recorded narration and music, and exceptional costuming, it was a pretty impressive production. The only feature that didn't appear authentic was the little baby Jesus, unless the stand-in infant was frozen solid - possible, as temperature hovered in the mid-teens around then.
We moved on to the pub, and enjoyed a rousing final performance by an eclectic local band, Slow Crash. I heard them perform at an art show happening in an outdoor plaza near the museum in Old Town in the fall, and when I heard they were breaking up and a final gig was being offered I put it on the calendar. You have to love a college town away from the big city - cover was $3, local craft beers were $2.50, and I had a two-for-one coupon for food. A $20 evening for the both of us.
No comments:
Post a Comment