There seems to be a relentless succession of projects to do around the house - landscape, garden, home theatre, deck, garage workshop...
These used to be throw-away newspaper inserts when we were in the rental. Now they are Home Improvement Porn, worthy of close scrutiny, and pawing at ones...credit card.
Builder Andrew does some final sanding on the deck handrail - the last major component. Andrew is a Green builder - no, he has not been drinking nettle tea for years - he tries to build in a way that respects finite natural resources.
The deck is finished! Since I photographed it here, I have stained and sealed the chairs (I built them from a cheap kit) and they look great. Next will be landscaping work around the deck, and eventually a walk across the middle of the lawn (less grass!) to the street.
Today, Pat and I went out for the morning on a Green Homes bike tour, to see some interesting projects around town that are employing Green building practices. There was a $768,000 (!!!) straw bale house North of town, and several other new or remodel projects to check out by the about 30 bicyclists who joined in and enjoyed the nice breakfast and lunch that some of the builders offered.
A stop on the Green Builders tour today.
About a week ago I went on another garden tour, this one sponsored by (and for the benefitof) the Audobon Society. The gardens on these tours are quite an inspiration, and offer lots of educational opportunities if you're willing to ask questions.
Well, it won't win a Pullet Surprise, but at least I got some stuff published. I'll try ot get stuff up here a bit more often - there's lots of backlog to draw from...
No comments:
Post a Comment