Tuesday, May 23, 2006

I flew off to Reno for a few days to help my Dad get resettled in his home after a stay in a hosital and a bit of rehab. He is getting around well, but I think it helped to have someone familiar around the house to help get things back in a routine.

We interviewed a salty household help lady, as we wanted him to have a little assistance with housekeeping. When I inquired about her culinary talents, hoping she might be able to prepare an occasional hot meal during her visits, she proceeded to describe her "Puke in a Pan" special. We hired her, and her visit went well from what I heard.



One thing I noticed very clearly while looking after his needs - the Buddhist wisdom that if you want to be happy you should put others first is clearly true. I came home feeling calmer and more content than in a long time.

When I arrived back in Denver on the plane around dusk, I was greeted by a spectaular fiery red-orange-yellow sunset under towering thunderstorm clouds in the area. Later, as I drove from the airport toward the Northbound freeway, there was a big long-lasting fireworks display ahead of me for some time. The whole arrival felt very auspicious, and I had a clear sense of arriving home.




No comments: