Mexico came to us last weekend. To celebrate Day of the Dead, Oakland put on a big five-block long fiesta, with several sound stages and many dozens of traditional craft and food booths. There were quite a few altars too, with family members on hand to remember departed loved ones.
The crowd was estimated to be nearly 100,000 at its peak - it was jammed when we arrived late in the afternoon. I'd say we were among less than 1% non latinos who showed up. Probably more like 1/2%. It really was indistinguishable from a big street event in Mexico. Of course, in Mexico it doesn't take a special occasion for such an assembly to happen - many places do this every weekend.
And now it's time for me to go to Mexico. We booked my air travel for the week of Nov 18 - 25. This puts me in Guadalajara for Thanksgiving. I considered returning on Thanksgiving day, but I asked a lady in Guadalajara I am planning to visit for her opinion, and this was her reply:
"Oh yes, by all means stay through Thanksgiving. The nine days of Nov 22-30 are Ajijic's fiestas patronales and it's a total blast. Larry and Joseph are going with me one or more evenings to party on the plaza: it's a mix of religious observance, carnival, food, fireworks and live music. It's really wonderful fun.
I won't tell you more right now, but do get your tickets and plan to stay at least till the 25th, or the 26th if you can. There is so much to do here and at the lake that week...including Thanksgiving...some friends and I are having Thanksgiving dinner there and you are welcome".
How could I turn that down?
No comments:
Post a Comment