Well, at least as a souvenir of my time here in Denver I get to take home a shiny (nearly) new car. When I was faced with starting a new job here and Pat was interviewing, it became clear that we needed a second vehicle. The venerable Escort was sold off in California to a lucky new owner before the trip out here.
I had planned on buying a four-wheel drive truck in anticipation of a harsh winter, but people here recommended a front-wheel drive car as adequate (uh, like the paid-for and pampered Escort). After looking at a lot of horrid junk with high miles and dubious condition I found a lovely '02 Saturn SL2 with only 6,050 miles in perfect condition and a year left on the factory bumper-bumper warranty. I commuted in the nasty cross-city traffic for exactly four days before I resigned - having discovered that all my expectations about the position at Virtela were misplaced and that it was unlikely that I would ever be content there. At the same time I was realizing this, Pat was back in California receiving an irresistable offer, with a high probability that one would also be forthcoming for me.
So Pat heads back on Thursday the 13th, and I will shortly after clear out of this temporary Denver rental and head up to the ranch in Wyoming until the 25th - when I too will head West again for the three-day drive with the M-dog.
Me and the M-dog at the ranch.
I plan to stay overnight with my Sister Becky in Reno on the way home, and maybe have a brief visit with my Dad and his wife as well.
We're still sort of in shock over the way things turned out (or didn't turn out) here. With the beautiful fall weather and the trees showing East-coast quality reds and yellows of turning leaves, it's especially poignant to prepare for leaving the wonderful neighborhoods full of affordable homes for the over-priced, decaying zoo of the Bay Area again. Obviously we do NOT expect to find immediate serenity or a sense of homecoming. We plan to make it a relatively short stay on return, if only we can figure out what comes after. We hope to make ourselves valuable to our employer in a way that will encourage them to have us working remotely from...Wyoming?...Denver?...Mexico?...suggestions?
A rainbow over Washington Park in Denver during the early part of our stay here.
At the time we thought it was an auspicious sign. Maybe it was.
Text © 2003-2004 Stanley J. Wolf
No comments:
Post a Comment