Thursday, January 01, 2004



Pat had an interesting idea I hadn't considered before about how to earn some income in Mexico. It seems very few people in Merida are catering to the gringo crowd who might want to learn Spanish, and it occured to him that we could operate such classes using a combination of my teaching skills (eight years as a flight instructor)
and local native speakers. The way gringos are snapping up all the property there the community must be growing exponentially. We could devote part of our house space for a classroom if we get a big enough place. Need to check out the legalities of self-employment but I think this can be done.

Taking this a step further, I wonder if we couldn't also teach English to local Spanish speakers - although I suspect they have more options. I know some people in Merida teach English with no knowledge of Spanish, although I don't see how they could be as effective without insight into why Spanish speakers make the common errors they do. Since I have been studying Spanish I am increasingly understanding how and why they make the mistakes they do.

After Wednesday's big disappointment over the sale of the unrestored colonial we had our eye on, we regrouped and now Pat will spend Friday looking at the remaining inventory of the realtor for that place, then Saturday will check out a place that was highly recommended as being 'right' for us by a friend who has bought and renovated an old colonial in Merida.


No comments: